Forgot password?
 Register
View: 245|Reply: 15
Collapse the left

Hi! Newby on lookout for tricks and inspiration

[Copy link]
Post time: 2024-4-19 22:04
| Show all posts |Read mode
Hi, I'm new on the site, which I find quite confusing, but I'm hoping to get the hang of it.
I'm an advanced beginner at crochet, I mainly do small plushies and easy garments as totes and tops... I'm also trying to learn to knit, as I'd like to make a sweater for the cold season!Crocheters, what is the project you are most proud of?
Knitters, any tips for an absolute beginner? I'd love to learn!

Rate

Number of participants 1Gold Coins +5 Collapse Reason
MissPriss + 5 Welcome!

View Rating Log

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Post time: 2024-4-30 19:29
| Show all posts
Crochet-er here! I think the project I'm the most proud of is a tote bag i made a while back! It wasn't super  detailed or hard to do but I'm still super proud of it ^^
Reply Support 1 Not support 0

Use magic Report

Post time: 2024-4-28 00:34
| Show all posts
Oh that’s a fun trick!
I make knots in my yarn tail - as many knots as a size it is

Use magic Report

Post time: 2024-4-28 00:12
| Show all posts
I just thought of a simple tip, something I’ve been doing for many years. Often people say they cannot remember what size hook or needles they used for a project, when they go back to it later on. I use stitch markers in the same colour as my hook is, for knitting needles, I choose the same colour as I would for the corresponding crochet hook, so a 2mm hook is yellow, I’ll use yellow for my 2mm needles

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2024-4-22 00:37
| Show all posts

Hi! I really like your mindset of enjoying the whole process, I too believe those craft (as many) are really a work of love and patience. Thanks for the advice, baby's garments are definitely less scary to start with! :)

Use magic Report

Post time: 2024-4-22 02:08
| Show all posts
For a sweater recommendation for a new knitter, I think the Felix pullover (and I assume the cardigan version, as well) would be a great choice. Lots of projects for it on ravelry, so lots of notes you can read and see what other people found helpful. The only "tricky" thing about that sweater is that it uses shortrow shaping, but you can find many helpful videos about techniques on youtube. It uses large needles (size 10 for main parts of sweater and size 8 for ribbing) and heavier weight yarn, so it is a relatively quick sweater and it won't be as painful for a new knitter to have to rip back to fix mistakes. If you make one and it turns out ugly, it has a very generous fit (recommended to go with 2-8" of positive ease, with the modeled sweater having 7" of positive ease) and makes the perfect "hang around at home" sweater. Another option is the Flax sweater from tincanknits, it's a very popular beginner sweater pattern and does not have any short row shaping.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2024-4-21 12:34
| Show all posts
Hi! I knit and crochet, too! I learned to crochet when I was a kid and have taught myself to knit a few years ago. My Best tip for both crafts is to make things that you enjoy and that you want to own. Its very motivating and inspiring to work towards a plushie or garment that you really want to have. Or perhaps a certain stitch pattern looks very fun and interesting and you will be motivated by the process of making that stitch pattern! My Best tip for knitting a sweater is to start with a baby or child sweater! You will learn all the techniques of an adult sized sweater, but it will be finished much faster and you will gain confidence. You can even make a sweater for a teddy bear if you don't have a child in your life to knit for. Best of luck! I hope you enjoy knitting and crocheting for many years to come!

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2024-4-20 00:59
| Show all posts
Picxie

Login/Register to enlarge
2024-4-20 00:12

Hi and welcome! I was lucky in that my grandmother taught me to knit and crochet when I was a toddle ...

Hi, thank you for the suggestions and your insight! My main concern is that I tend to "lose" stitches and don't know how to pick them back up, or "read the weave" (I mean as noticing skipped stitches or/and uneven tension, if that makes any sense), which I think is easier with crochet.. I plan on working on a scarf, with a basic stockinette stitch, I hope to get better as I go.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2024-4-20 00:12
| Show all posts
Hi and welcome! I was lucky in that my grandmother taught me to knit and crochet when I was a toddler, so it would be really hard for me to pick one thing.. As for knitting, have you had a look at the YouTube channel? I must admit, I have not specifically looked for beginner knitting, but there are some pretty awesome crochet projects on there.

I would say, start with something easy for your first few knitting projects, trial and error will be your friends but you will soon get the hang of it.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2024-4-20 01:13
| Show all posts
Hi! A scarf is definitely a good way to start, as it is easy to "read".
Keep the fancy stuff for later and work on achieving consistent tension. Tension is key in knitting.

Also, if you want to experiment with various stitches, you may try knitting 10x10 cm samples of each stitch you want to try your hand at, and use those later on to make a blanket by joining them all together.
I've found this to a be a useful way to not waste my swatches.

Have a nice time around!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2024-4-21 13:14
| Show all posts
Hi! I highly recommend checking out the NimbleNeedles channel on youtube, a lot of his videos are about tips and tricks to help with all sorts of knitting techniques and I find his videos very beginner friendly. Sheep and Stitch is also a really good beginner friendly knitting channel.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2024-4-22 00:34
| Show all posts
BluBrd

2024-4-20 01:13

Hi! A scarf is definitely a good way to start, as it is easy to "read".
Keep the fancy stuff for la ...

Hi :) Thank you for your suggestions!
The idea of the blanket made of the tester squares is really cute and I'll definitely give it a try!

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2024-4-22 00:37
| Show all posts
lyledylandy

2024-4-21 13:14

Hi! I highly recommend checking out the NimbleNeedles channel on youtube, a lot of his videos are ab ...

Hello! I'll look them up, thank you for your advice!

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-5-3 06:32 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.074260 sec., 17 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list